To begin contributing to a site you will need an account. How you will go about getting a user account depends on what features the site has activated. If the site has Public Registration activated, you can register for your own account. If the site has Public Registration deactivated, then you will have to be invited by an administrator to register for an account.
The first step of becoming an active member of a site is having an account, to begin, register for an account.
- You have to sign up for an account prior to contributing to any guides or discussions.
- The window to the right will appear:
- Fill In the form that appears with your:
- Use a valid email address that you own.
- Your email address will NOT be public!
- Your Name
- This is the name displayed next to your avatar across the community.
- Write your password down somewhere so you don't forget it.
- Increase your password strength by having a healthy mix of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
To become an active member of a site with Public Registration activated, you must be invited by an Admin. Below is the process for inviting a user to create an account on a site:
- Go to the “Users” section of your Management Console.
- Press the blue “Invite New Users” button on the right side of your screen.
- Specify what level of permissions this new user will have.
- Use the box below where you specified the user permission level to add the email addresses of people Type in an email address for the users that you are inviting to register for an account. If you are inviting more than one user, separate their email addresses with a comma.
- If you would like to, use the box below where you added email addresses of people to invite to include a personal message in your invitation.
- Press “Send”.
The people you sent these invites to will be sent a link. When they click on this link it will prompt them to create an account.
Dozuki makes it easy to manage what specific users can and cannot do. All you need to do is identify which type of user an individual is. We created 5 different types of users—each one suited to different Dozuki uses—that has varying permissions associated with them.
- User: Users have the most basic level of privileges on a site. They can view public content, and—if the site has Public Editing activated—can suggest edits. Users can leave comments, and—if a site has the Answers feature activated—can ask and reply to questions.
- Author: Authors can view, create, edit, and delete any content on a site. They can view any content at any time (regardless of which access privileges are set). If the site has the Answers feature activated, they can ask and reply to questions.
- Moderator: Moderators are meant to regulate content on the Answers feature of a Dozuki site. They can vote to pass or fail actions, such as accepting a response, and view all questions that have ever been posted. Moderators have these privileges on the Answers platform. But when they are working with categories, guides, and wikis, have only the same basic privileges Users do.
- Author & Moderator: Author & Moderators have a combination of the permissions that an Author and a Moderator would.
- Admin: Admins have the highest level of privileges on a site. They can access all areas of a site, including the management console. They can access billing information and can change site configuration settings. Admins can manage users and teams. They can also create, edit, delete, and view any content (regardless of the permissions specified on a Wiki or Guide level). On the Answers platform, they can ask questions, answer questions, and vote to pass or fail actions.
To get to your user profile, click on your avatar in the top right corner of the web page, and press "View Profile".
To add an avatar to your profile, click the "Edit" tab at the top right corner of your screen. This will bring you to the profile editing page. On the left side of your screen you will see your avatar below the words "Editing your Profile". To add an avatar, click on the current avatar (most likely a grey square with a camera in it). Press "Upload" in the image drawer at the bottom of your screen, and upload the image you would like to be your avatar. Once the image has uploaded, click on it and it will be placed as your avatar. Click "Save" for the changes to take effect.
To add an About Section, click "Edit" on your profile and then select the "About" tab. Tell the community about yourself: everything from professional experiences to hobbies and interests.
Think of this section as a virtual resume to showcase your knowledge and accomplishments in the community.
If you ever decide to change your account password, simply press "Edit" in the top right corner of your profile. From here you can update your password. In the center of a screen you will see a text field titled "New Password". Type in the new password you would like and then re-type it in the "Re-type new password" text field. After you have done this, press "Save" and your new password will be activated.
Be sure to follow password guidelines mentioned above.
To change your display name, simply "Edit" your profile. Then, go to the text field labeled "Name." Saving changes to this entry will update your display name.
To change the email address associated with your account, simply press "Edit." Look for the text field labeled "Email." Saving changes to this entry will update your email address.
Was this article helpful to you?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?Ask a Question
Your vote has been recorded.
Tell us more. (optional)